On back of photo : Gouverneur Fire Company in 1880 in front of engine house on Clinton street, which is now the George Beaman grocery store. The team attached to the old time steamer, were the property of the late Lorenzo Smith who conducted a livery stable, which was a prominent institution in any town in that period. The team bore the rather startling names of “Tom & Jerry.” George Ives, veteran taxi driver of this village, and for many years the St. Lawrence Inn bus driver, is on the seat of the fire engine.
Return to Pete Curtis.
In background: H. W. Jeffers & Co. Farmers Exchange - On rt. E. D. Warru